Friday, November 15, 2013

When The Picture Fades ...

Its very seldom that I wake up in the middle of the night with the motivation to write.  Last night was one of those moments. In my bed, streams of thoughts making its way through my mind and made every effort to remember them. After few hours with an exhausted mind, I fell into a deep sleep.

This past week has been horrific for the nation of the Philippines and for Filipinos around the world. The worst typhoon to make landfall in recorded history slammed in the central region of the country.  It caused damage with over thousand lost their lives and homes obliterated from where they once stood. 

Typhoon Yolanda gushed in to the Philippines on Friday, 8 November 2013. It left a devastated trail that was never seen before. The people in its path had very little or had no chance of survival.  Worst-hit areas of Tacloban and surrounding areas have attested to be an absolute nightmare for the government and NGOs to bring in the humanitarian aid which was very much needed.  Simply the basics - food, water, shelter and medicine has proven to be an enormous mountain to climb.

In our church in Christchurch New Zealand, we have large number of Filipino members. For the past two years Ive been ministering about 50% of my time in the Philippines - Metro Manila, Alabang, Lipa, San Fernando (Pampanga), Bacolod City and Kabankalan.

Filipinos have certainly captured my heart. It was an instant connection of love and passion to Filipinos. They are grateful, honouring and very respectful.  Going the extra mile is not an option. They will go extra ten miles for you. Filipinos have gone through so much over the years, but they will bounce back with a huge smile and great attitude. They are known as individuals with positive disposition amidst life battles. These battles left distinguishable scars on their lives which serve as their reminder that God has spared them to continue the fight for peace and righteousness.


In Kabankalan
I love the slogan "It's more fun in the Philippines" - from eating rice at every meal to looking at chickens feet or balut, thinking "oh no, I can't eat this, help!". After eating rice for breakfast on a recent trip to Lipa, one of my friends wrote and said, "Pastor Bernhard you are now a legitimate Filipino". I often confessed to groups of people and whenever I minister that I have Filipino blood flowing through my veins - it's only my skin has a different colour. Filipinos will always be part of my heart and life.

When the picture fades... my prayer is that the world will not forget this amazing nation and beautiful people of the Philippines. Pictures of devastation will no longer be shown within the next few weeks. The world will forget the desolation of lives and loss of properties. There will be no more pictures that offer opportunities to join together and make a difference.

As this journey continues, how far we go in our lives depends on our willingness to extend help and do our part especially to those who may never be able to repay us. 


No comments :

Post a Comment